Gutters are a vital part of your roofing system. They reduce the risk of basement flooding and landscape erosion by directing rainwater away from the foundation. As with many building systems, gutters are intended to last a set number of years. If yours are getting old, it may be time to repair or replace them. Watch for these signs that you need a gutter upgrade.
• Standing water: Gutters are installed with sufficient slope to guide water to the downspout. If they have sagged or become disconnected from the fascia, water may pool in the gutters. This creates a habitable place for mosquitoes, mice, squirrels, birds, and even snakes. The only remedy is to repair or replace your gutters.
• Overflowing gutters: The next time it rains, take a peek outside and check if your gutters are overflowing. This can happen if your gutters are clogged, sagging, or undersized. Seek advice from a professional about cleaning, repairing, or replacing your gutters.
• Messy siding: Inspect the side of the building for water streaks that signify your gutters aren’t working properly. This can detract from your curb appeal, making your house look neglected. Once gutter installers replace your gutters, you can clean the siding to restore a clean, tidy appearance.
• Rotting fascia: While you’re examining the siding, take a closer look at the trim material your gutters are attached to, known as the fascia. If your gutters overflow when it rains, this wood component could start to rot. Nip the problem in the bud by replacing your faulty gutters. Otherwise, you might have to replace the fascia as well.
• Missing screws or fasteners: This hardware holds your gutters in place. If they’re missing or broken, you need gutter repair at the very least, if not a complete gutter replacement. Reach out to a gutter company for advice specific to your situation.
• Leaky gutters: Old-fashioned gutters come in pieces and are joined together during installation. Unfortunately, this design isn’t durable and may lead to holes, cracks, and separated seams over the years. New gutters are extruded onsite to the proper lengths, allowing for a seamless installation.
• Flooding: Poorly functioning gutters could be to blame for your damp, humid basement. When rainwater over-saturates the soil near your house instead of diverting away, it presses against the foundation and may leak inside. Upgrading your gutters can help prevent costly flood damage.
No one wants to pay for gutter replacement when it’s not necessary. But if you see any of the above signs, you know it’s time to speak with a gutter specialist. Turn to High Point Gutter for the services you need. We offer top-of-the-line residential and commercial gutter installation in Snohomish and King Counties. Our products are second to none, with a trustworthy 10-year install warranty and 20-year manufacturer warranty for your peace of mind. Call us today at (425) 449-6622 or contact us online to learn more about our gutter services or request an estimate.