Has it been a while since you cleaned your gutters? This chore isn’t exactly fun, so you may wonder if it’s worth the effort. Learn the answers to common questions about gutter cleaning here.
Why is it important to keep your gutters clean?
Clogged gutters can hamper the effectiveness of rainwater drainage, leading to expensive and preventable property damage. The purpose of gutter cleaning is to keep water flowing freely toward the downspout.
What happens if you don’t clean your gutters?
If you don’t keep your gutters clean, they will become clogged with leaves, pine needles, asphalt shingle granules, and other debris that end up there. This blockage causes rainwater to flow over the sides of the gutters, defeating the purpose of having them in the first place.
How often should you clean your gutters?
You should complete this home maintenance task once or twice a year, depending on the number of trees on your property. If you have the necessary equipment, know-how, physical ability, and time to clean your gutters, feel free to complete the work yourself. However, many homeowners prefer to leave gutter cleaning to a professional.
Do gutters really need to be cleaned?
Yes! Here’s how you benefit by prioritizing this essential home maintenance task:
- Avoid foundation damage: The primary reason to clean your gutters is to protect the foundation. If rainwater flows over the sides, it pools around the foundation and over-saturates the soil. This puts pressure on the foundation walls and may eventually shift and crack the concrete, leading to structural concerns and basement flooding. Simply cleaning your gutters can prevent this catastrophe.
- Prevent siding damage: Unsightly streaks and fascia damage are other symptoms of water overflowing the gutters. This can lead to wood rot, invite pest infestations, and detract from your curb appeal. In comparison, cleared-out gutters direct rainwater to the downspouts, preventing water damage to the exterior of your home.
- Protect the roof: In the winter, clogged gutters allow ice from melting snow to linger on the roof, damaging the shingles and increasing the risk of leaks. On the other hand, free-flowing gutters help water drain properly to avoid these issues.
- Help your gutters last longer: Standing water and debris may weigh down your gutters, causing them to sag and separate from the house. In this way, cleaning your gutters regularly can add years to their lifespan.
- Minimize soil erosion: Pooling water and soggy soil are common issues around homes with clogged gutters. Routine gutter cleaning ensures rainwater flows from the downspouts as intended, preserving soil grading and vegetation around your house.
- Ward off insects and pests: Standing water attracts mosquitoes, rats, and other disease-carrying pests. This can cause health concerns for your family and lead to further structural damage associated with pest infestation. Keeping your gutters clean is an easy, low-cost way to deter insects and rodents.
High Point Gutter is a reliable gutter cleaning company prepared to take on this dirty, dangerous task. Trust our highly trained, experienced team to clear your gutters and downspouts of all debris with our thorough, clean-by-hand approach. While we’re at it, we’ll inspect your gutters for leaks and other damage you should know about. Our team can complete the work whether you’re at home or away, leaving your property and landscape mess-free when we’re finished. To request gutter cleaning services at your home or business, please call High Point Gutter at (425) 449-6622 or contact us online.