Gutters are supposed to act as an efficient rainwater drainage system, diverting runoff away from the building to preserve the roof and foundation. However, if not properly maintained, gutters can become a breeding ground for pests. Learn what pests are most likely to infest your gutters and how to keep your property pest-free.
Standing Water and Debris in the Gutters Attract Pests
Clogged gutters can’t drain properly, leading to stagnant water that attracts pests. The leaves, twigs, and other debris responsible for the clog also appeal to nesting animals. Here are some examples of pests that find your debris-filled gutters irresistible:
- Birds: Birds often build nests in gutters, where they’re safe from predators, using the accumulated debris as a starting point. This can worsen the blockage and cause water to overflow. Some species, like woodpeckers, are also destructive, meaning you want them as far from your home as possible.
- Rodents: Rats, mice, squirrels, and other rodents are attracted to gutters because of the food, drinking water, and shelter they provide. Rodents that settle in your gutters may eat through the siding and enter your house, where they can damage the interior.
- Insects: Mosquitoes, ants, cockroaches, and spiders are drawn to gutters with standing water and debris buildup. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in the stagnant water, while ants and cockroaches forage through the debris for food.
How to Keep Your Gutters Pest-Free
Implement these tips to deter pests from congregating in your gutters:
- Trim back branches from nearby trees and shrubs to reduce the amount of debris that falls into your gutters. Keeping foliage away from the roof also eliminates an important access point for rodents.
- Eliminate standing water in the yard that may attract pests. This involves filling in low spots and ensuring your downspouts direct water to a well-drained area.
- Secure garbage cans by ensuring they are tightly covered and stored in the garage or shed, except when you pull them out on trash day.
- Set traps and use repellents to make your property less appealing to birds, rodents, and insects.
- Clean your gutters regularly to prevent debris from causing blockages over time. Hire a professional to clean your gutters every spring and fall, plus any time you notice debris starting to build up.
- Install a gutter cover to keep debris out of your gutters in the first place. This product is specially designed to allow water to flow freely while keeping leaves, twigs, and pine needles at bay.
Clearly, your gutters can become a breeding ground for pests if you allow them to become clogged. For help keeping your gutters pest-free, turn to High Point Gutter. We offer gutter cleaning services and install several types of gutter guards to meet your specific needs. We guarantee that with our help, your gutters will remain free-flowing and unappealing to pests. That’s the High Point Promise! To request a gutter service estimate in Snohomish or King County, please call us at (425) 449-6622 or contact us online today.